Tom Cruise As Jack Reacher? HELL NO!

June 14, 2011

Please afford me the opportunity to vent, heavily. I came home from a movie screening this evening and was checking some of my entertainment news feeds when I caught a glimpse of  a headline that made my blood run cold.  Surely it was a cruel joke. I read it three times to be sure. The horrifying headline on Entertainment Weekly’s home page read: “Tom Cruise as Lee Child’s rugged Jack Reacher? Count us in!” WTF? This will go down as one of the worst casting decisions ever made, if the deal gets finalized.

If you haven’t read any of Lee Child’s books, I am sure that you are wondering why I am getting my panties in such a wad over the possibility of minuscule Tom Cruise subverting the character of Jack Reacher by taking the role.  Child has created a successful book series built around an anti-hero named Jack Reacher. The character is constantly alluded to as being a hulking giant of a man who intimidates his foes with sheer physicality. He also happens to be ex-military, so he is highly skilled when it comes to hand-to-hand combat. He’s a drifter and a loner, occasionally happening upon some injustice in some town that compels him to take action.  He is described as being 6’5″, in his forties, and blond. Naturally you think of Tom Cruise, right?  Wrong, wrong, wrong.

Why Tom Cruise is wrong for the role

• Reacher is a giant, physically imposing character. Um, Tom Cruise is a midget, and  I’m certain I could take him in a fight with one hand tied behind my back.
  • Reacher is a solemn, somewhat sad man. Cruise can’t make it five minutes without erupting in a toothy cackle.
  • Reacher is a grizzled military vet. Cruise has never missed a mani-pedi day in his life.

People who would be more convincing than Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher

In a perfect world, my  choice would be Liam Neeson. He has that convincing air of sadness and melancholy, he’s tall, and he can kick some ass. However, the following people would be more convincing than Cruise in the role: Peter Dinklage, Verne Troyer, Russell Brand, Richard Simmons, Katie Holmes, and any other actor on the face of the earth. Seriously. ANYONE but Cruise.

The best comments on EW’s thread

I read Entertainment Weekly all the time, but I have lost respect for the outlet due to their enthusiastic embrace of this wretched news. I did not see one comment that actually agreed that Cruise was a good choice, but there were some damn funny ones.

• “I agree, Tom Cruise is an excellent choice to play a hulking man-mountain protagonist in films. I also like to eat lawn clippings and save my urine in jars in my basement.”
  • “Cruise?? please! may as well be Penelope Cruz in the role…”
  • “o.k. – this is a joke, right? Cruise as Reacher?? Laughable – absolutely laughable. Liam, Viggo..hell, ME. NOT-NOT-NOT Cruise!!!!”
  • “Please, total miscast. I’d rather see Pee Wee Herman with a gun.”
  • “Of course, even Tyler Perry as Reacher would make more sense.”

So, if you are a fan of the series, are you as distraught as a lot of us are over the possibility of Cruise playing Reacher?

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

26 Responses to “ Tom Cruise As Jack Reacher? HELL NO! ”

1. Gil on June 14, 2011 at 11:08 pm

Your simply stupid.

2. Dave on June 14, 2011 at 11:15 pm

Very articulate, Gil. Work on those contractions, pal.

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher makes about as much sense as Kermit the Frog playing James Bond. I’ll stick with the novels.

3. Jay on June 15, 2011 at 4:56 am

This would flat prevent me from going to see the movies. Pretty much all I can say about that.

4. tom on June 15, 2011 at 7:39 am

Let me join in the chorus, but will someone get this to Paramount? NO! This is a franchise opportunity.

Find someone who is younger, but old enough, and is a new face that we dont think we are seeing another TC movie! TC is out. Nada. Dull. Yesterday as Paris Hilton.

That ER doc on Gray’s comes to mind. But there must be ten candidates who could pull this off and do it better.

5. Jane on June 15, 2011 at 8:40 am

Chris Hemsworth is my choice for Jack Reacher. I would NEVER
    go see any J. Reacher movies if Tom Cruise gets cast. Just awful.

6. Tina on June 15, 2011 at 11:13 am

Again, gross miscasting. Remember Interview With the Vampire? Yikes, Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher? Sacrilege! Lee Child himself would be a better choice. How about a couple squirts like Liam Neeson or Russell Crowe?

7. raw on June 15, 2011 at 2:10 pm

cruise is the worst choice imaginable. dwayne “The Rock” johnson should be jack reacher.

8. Meg on June 15, 2011 at 2:32 pm

No No No No
    Jack Reacher is 6’5″ and a hulk. Tom Cruise is a wimp, short and a terrible actor. My husband and I have read every Reacher book, and would love to see the movies made, but no Tom Cruise. BOYCOTT!!!!!

9. Lynn on June 15, 2011 at 5:13 pm

Not just NO, but Hell no to Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher. Are they crazy or just dumb. Have they not read the Jack Reacher books, all 15 of them, I have. What are they going to do cast short bad females artists so Tom Cruise will look 6’5″ and have half a brain. As much as I love Lee Child’s Jack Reacher series I will not pay good money to see Tom Cruise.

10. Sheila Casselano on June 16, 2011 at 8:36 am

Hey Tom – You read the casting call wrong – it says 6’5″ not 5’6″.

Jack Reacher is my all time favorite character. I will never go see a movie version with Tom Cruise.

Cruel, Cruel World.

11. cindy rushford on June 16, 2011 at 7:06 pm

I think personally that though I love tom Cruise he would not be right for this part . I think Sam Elliot or better yet Tom Selleck would be better choices. :)

12. Terri on June 16, 2011 at 7:22 pm

Well, studio execs tend to have their heads up their ass anyway (Spiderman 3, anyone?), so it’s not a surprise they’d woo Cruise…but if they want to make a blockbuster of the movie…or even sell one ticket, they’re going to have to pull their heads out and find someone more suitable…like the guy who played Thor. I hope Lee’s reps pull the option so this movie doesn’t happen

13. Ladymol on June 17, 2011 at 3:50 am

Boycott. Boycott. Write to Lee Child. I have. This cannot be allowed to go ahead.

14. Nat Almirall on June 17, 2011 at 7:38 am

I have no idea who Jack Reacher is, but clearly either Paul Giamatti, Rip Torn, or a strange hybrid of them both would be the best man for the part.

15. Belle Sloane on June 17, 2011 at 3:19 pm

Well done Shannon. I’m behind every word. This would be the second miscasting travesty — he was terribly miscast in Interview with a Vamp. HE should have been Lewis, and Brad Lastat. Sheesh!!!
    Oh, and thanks for the laughs, too.
    Wonderful!

Belle
    @}–{———–

16. Ellis Vidler on June 17, 2011 at 7:22 pm

What a disaster! What are they smoking out there? I can’t imagine a worse choice. Tom Cruise is about as far from Jack Reacher as you could get.

17. Meriale46 on June 17, 2011 at 7:30 pm

Don’t be so quick to say No” After all there is such computer technology today that they can make Tom Cruise 6’4 Muscular and blond with no trouble whatsoever. And truth be told he is a great actor. Anne Rice said the same thing when casting for Interview with a Vampire. And that movie did extremely well at the box office. The chemistry between him and Brad Pitt was flawless.

18. Elaine Charton on June 18, 2011 at 6:31 pm

NO-NO-NO and NO! Cruise as Reacher does not work in any way-shape or form. My vote is for Liam Neeson.

19. Niamh on June 19, 2011 at 6:36 am

Tom Cruise has nothing “Jack Reacher” about him how about Guy Pearce?

20. Sarah on June 20, 2011 at 5:25 pm

Tom Cruise to play Jack Reacher?? That’s like me starring as Karen Carpenter in a Bio-pic! Freaking ridiculous is what it is!

21. michelle on June 21, 2011 at 6:18 pm

totally agree! I have read all of the Reacher books and Cruise doesn’t come close to being the right man for the role. The Rock, Hugh Jackman, Van Diesel or Michael Clark Duncan would be my picks. Ridiculous. with all the Reacher fans boycotting maybe it will be a bust and they will rethink the casting if they decide to mess with the role again.

22. Len on June 26, 2011 at 9:40 pm

I’m on my 13th Reacher book…awesome character and should make for a great franchise movie program…unless they put Cruise in there…don’t get me wrong I like Tom Cruise…but if there could be a more mis-cast of actor/character I can’t think of it!!! Get Gerard Butler or Dwayne Johnson…both would be great options!

23. Dan on June 27, 2011 at 5:39 pm

Tom Cruise as Jack Reacher???Ridiculous!!!My pick would be Gerard Butler, or Dwayne Johnson. I’m a Reacher fan,but I won’t go to see Cruise as Reacher, and that’s firm.

24. p kat on June 27, 2011 at 5:51 pm

I, also, would not see a movie with Cruise as Reacher. How about Ray Stevenson. Check him out on IMDB.

25. jani on June 28, 2011 at 5:27 am

agree. can’t imagine i’d watch a film where tom is playing jack!!! There are much more better options like vin diesel or kevin durant.

26. Mike on July 3, 2011 at 6:16 am

Mike from New Zealand Are they crazy Reacher is a Six foot Five 250 Pound Bone crushing Justice Machine TC is none of these A mountain not a molehill please.