Hump Day

February 23, 2011

When I was in graduate school (one hundred and ten years ago), my studio mates and I engaged in a competitive ritual every Wednesday that helped to break up the week. We called it Hump Day Activities and it was wonderful.

The activity in question was different each time – one week may have been a test of mental acuity, like the time we were to guess the remaining amount of capsules in an Advil bottle (Melissa Button cleaned up on that one after naming the exact amount left - confidently saying of her win, ‘Well, I take A LOT of Advil…’). Another week may have involved a contest of athletic proficiency, like seeing who could bounce a tennis ball over the Art Annex building .

In three years, I only won twice (both times were games in which an object was rolled, kind of like bowling only with decorative oranges and masking tape). The spoils for the victor were always sweet. Everyone participating in Hump Day Activities would pony up a small monetary amount (like, ten cents) and would walk across the street to the convenience store en masse, purchase a candy bar of the winner’s chosing and carry it back for him/her.  This reward system was specifically designed to maximize the humilation of the losers – adding extra incentive to genuinely try to win. These were good times, friends, good times.

I long for these times spent with creative and funny people and often find myself searching to find things that are as amusing and interesting as Hump Day Activities. I toil and troll the internets with hope in my tiny, frozen, black heart and if I am very, very lucky – I stumble across something that sends me and melts my face.

I must credit the lovely and talented Hilah of HilahCooking.com for bringing the DailyUke to my attention recently. One man, one ukulele, one song for every day of the year – it’s like playing  Hump Day Activities everyday and winning every time!  My personal favorite is this, but they are all wonderful. Enjoy and brace yourself for MAGIC.

Tags: , , , , , , , ,

8 Responses to “ Hump Day ”

1. Annie on February 23, 2011 at 8:51 am

We should revive the tradition. I could use the exercise.

2. Hilah on February 23, 2011 at 9:00 am

Yaayaayay! I want to host Hump Day Activities, too.

3. Jane on February 23, 2011 at 11:40 am

I loved Hump Day Activities! Let me know if you gals have any good ideas for one today….

4. GinaK on February 23, 2011 at 12:46 pm

Jane, my friends and I used to do something like this in college. Did you know I am a reaaaaally fast crawler?!?!?! I dare you to crawl faster than me, forwards or backwards… bring it.

5. Travis on February 23, 2011 at 3:06 pm

A favorite activity of mine and my friends whilst habitating in Laws Hall dormitory was “Rabbit Bowling.” A guy who lived next door to my roommate and me had a pet rabbit in his room which in hindsight was probably not a very good idea. Nevertheless, a plan was hatched to set up a bunch of empty beer cans in a crude bowling pin configuration. The rabbit was then slid gently, yet purposefully toward the cans. Technique evolved with each frame. I developed a strategy that involved giving the bunny a slight spin, which caused him to splay his little furry legs out in an attempt to find purchase on the slick linoleum–to no avail of course. But the rotation of the rabbit almost always resulted in achieving a strike. One would think that after being tossed like a bowling ball, Petey the rabbit would run and hide between frames, but on the contrary, he always ran straight back to the bowler, thus making it possible to pick up spares. No harm came to Petey, although we did dye his snowy white fur with muliti-colored highlighters which made night bowling under a blacklight a thing of sublime beauty.

6. Jane on February 23, 2011 at 4:05 pm

Travis – I have seen a similar game played with a cat – although a pen-light is used to coax the feline bowling ball towards the beer pins…

Oh man Gina…I should just buy you a candy bar right now!

My singular gift is being able to produce a very convincing Wookie distress yelp – so form an orderly queue fellas, and try not to be overwhelmed by my sex appeal.

7. sarah j on February 23, 2011 at 7:21 pm

I remember Hump Day being started by Brian Blackham, who I fondly called “neighbor” instead of his real name. He was sooooooo excited about the whole thing. I think at the time he was on a game show kick in his non-studio hours and would come in and recount episodes of Price Is Right to anyone who would listen.

I had a bad attitude about Hump Day because of my fragile mental state at the time. I saw it as a burden and obligation in which I would never win..similar to grad school itself.

I am glad you remember it differently, Jane!

8. Mr. Smarty Pants on February 23, 2011 at 9:29 pm

This gives me an idea for a post. Two ideas actually, but I think the 2nd one is mine. However, the more I think about it, the 2nd idea was clearly influenced by the first idea, so I’m not really sure who should get the credit.