Frothygirlz in Reader’s Digest

November 17, 2009

Dec/Jan '09 Reader's Digest CoverI am very proud of our writers at Frothygirlz.  Good things are brewing for several of us.  If you pick the new December/January issue of Reader’s Digest, you might find a familiar story inside.  Our very own CJ had her “surefire stereotypes” column reprinted in the magazine.  She was also quoted in the source story prior to her reprint.  Congrats to CJ, who has had a bit of a rough go regarding work and writing for this blog. See the reprint after the jump.

Picture 3

7 Responses to “ Frothygirlz in Reader’s Digest ”

1. Nat on November 17, 2009 at 11:30 am

Excellent job, CJ!

Now what I (and by extension Degenerate America) really want to know is if it’s at all and ever possible to pick up a waitress/bartender. I’ve seen it attempted but never pulled off.

2. Twitted by nat_almirall on November 17, 2009 at 11:47 am

[...] This post was Twitted by nat_almirall [...]

3. CJ on November 17, 2009 at 3:43 pm

Nat, totally possible. Be charming without being creepy, be interested without being stalkerish, be good looking without being TOO good looking. Easy as pie, right? Which reminds me….order dessert and tip well, but not TOO well. Then you’re just showing off.

4. cj on November 17, 2009 at 3:44 pm

Oops….this is CJ. The post from chef was me, too. But I didn’t know the chef was still logged on.

5. Renee on November 17, 2009 at 11:56 pm

Congrats CJ! And I find myself in those sorts of packs of girls too often…especially around Happy Hour.

6. Jonas on December 5, 2009 at 2:41 pm

I’m from Germany and at least I can explain why europeans are such bad tippers. The thing is that in european countries, waiter is a job like every other job. Waiters here get paid by the restaurant and tips are just a little bonus. Most people don’t even see it as a tip but just as a way to get avoid coin money. For example, when I eat for 18.50 I give the waiter a 20 EUR and say “stimmt so”, so I can leave and don’t have to wait for the waiter to count 1.5 from the wallet. You’ll also hardly ever see a european give a tip when paying with a credit card. If we really do, then we’d put the credit card and some coin money on the table, just to get rid of the coins. And you’ll never see a european with such a ridiculous thing like a tip calculator. Giving tips is just nothing we waste a single thought about.
    It’s the same thing those people that put your items in bags in supermarkets, which is pretty common in the US I think. You won’t see that in any german supermarket. Recently there was a big buzz in the german media about an agency that sent people to a few supermarkets to put items in bags for customers. Those guys didn’t get a salary but just the tips from customers. When a local newspaper wrote a short story about it, it became a big scandal in the media. The public oppinion was that living from tips only and depending on the goodwill of customers is inhumane and degrading (even when the servers said they liked their jobs and they’d make more money than some of the cashiers). The supermarkets cancelled their contracts with the agency because of the bad PR, and the servers became unemployed. Yes, that’s how we think here. :)

7. sassy on December 11, 2009 at 9:00 am

Just read the Reader’s Digest article and had to come here. I’m a waitress and could easily identify with many of the “stereotypes”. Where I work we always cringe when we see a large group of women, but not with a large group of men. They don’t usually care about separate checks and the tip is almost aways better.