Domino’s: making America fatter one bread bowl at a time

August 12, 2009

By Shannon

I am a carb-o-phobe (and coupon clipper), so when I fetched the “red plum” advertising flyer from the mailbox yesterday, and laid my eyes upon this gustatory assault on good sense, I nearly fainted.  These have been tested in other markets for a few months, and have done so well that they are now available nationally.

Are we not fat enough?  Is it really necessary to speed up the current race to be fattest nation in the entire world?   Pasta, in a bread bowl!  Are you serious?  Let’s be completely honest here.  It’s unlikely that the svelte minority will be clamoring to feast on this delight.  We all know that the only person who will be sprinting  to Domino’s with coupon in hand to purchase this caloric time bomb is the very person who should confined to sprinting on a treadmill.  Convincing themselves that bread is a healthy delivery  system for said pasta, they will likely throw in a a chocolate lava cake for their good behavior.  Oh wait, it’s free with a bread bowl per current coupon offer. The mere fact that these fast food offerings exist is causing my blood sugar to elevate to the danger zone.

First stop on the fast track to celullite city

First stop on the fast track to celullite city

6 Responses to “ Domino’s: making America fatter one bread bowl at a time ”

1. pancake on August 12, 2009 at 8:19 am

Bless the Sweet Baby Jesus. You know that someone is going to eat that thing.

2. Francois d'Anethan on August 12, 2009 at 9:41 am

Dear Shannon,
    I fully agree with every word you wrote on this pasta in a bread bowl.
    But it may be good to know that people ate in that fashion in the Middle Ages, and possibly sooner.
    Domino’s didn’t “invent” anything here!
    All they had was a knife, a spoon and… a bread bowl.
    Those who couldn’t afford a bread bowl or didn’t have any, for whatever reason, would dig (carve) a bowl in the thickness of the wooden table.
    Btw, I enjoy your blog a lot.
    Au revoir!
    Francois

3. FROTHYGIRLZ1031 on August 12, 2009 at 10:00 am

Merci beaucoup, Francois.

4. anncine on August 12, 2009 at 6:46 pm

Just viewing that photo of starch sent me into a panic attack that I am just now recovering from and able to respond…I would like to say, ‘zoiks’ and…Francois is correct, but they did not devour the bread bowl in the middle ages for it was stale and merely serving as a plate. Well done.

5. Dayanna on August 14, 2009 at 9:03 am

In the middle ages, the bread bowl was probably whole grain…

6. Sarah on November 18, 2009 at 11:39 pm

How many “svelte” friends do you have? As far as mine go, the skinnier they are, the less sound their diet is. I know a girl in a size 2 that would happily eat one of these on her own. Point is, it’s not fair to say that only overweight customers would order this. People of every size have guilty pleasures… and some may include carb on carb confections such as this.